Where is the school held?
The New Zealand Opera School is housed in Godwin House at Wanganui Collegiate School in Whanganui, New Zealand.
When is the school held?
The school runs for a fortnight, starting on the first Monday in January. The 2017 dates are 9-22 January.
Who is the school for?
Singers eligible for the school are ideally 20 years of age or over and serious about pursuing a career in opera. We provide tuition for graduate, post-graduate and working singers.
How do I get there?
Whanganui is serviced by Air Chathams domestic flights and a bus service. Wanganui Collegiate School's grounds have secure parking if you wish to arrive by car. If you are travelling by bus or plane, a member of the management team will meet you and transport you to the Collegiate campus.
What does it cost?
The fee for the School is $1,350.00, which covers the following costs during the period students are in residence at Wanganui Collegiate School:
- All meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, morning and afternoon teas)
- Accommodation (including bedding)
- Use of the Collegiate facilities including gym, swimming pool and practice studios
Tuition is provided at no cost to the students. Our valued sponsors provide the funding for all teaching and coaching staff, including individual tuition, coaching and masterclasses.
What do I bring if my application is successful?
- Three copies of music as set, or agreed to, by the directors
- Other operatic music you wish to work on
- A recording device on which to record your tutorial sessions and masterclasses (e.g. a smartphone with recording capability or other digital recording device)
- Clothing suitable for exercise and movement classes, individual lessons, public masterclasses as well as evening wear for a gala concert
- Toiletries and personal medication
You will be provided with a full list closer to the start date of the school.
Can I invite visitors?
Visitors are welcome at the School. There is a fee to cover administrative and catering costs. If visitors would like to observe classes there is an additional fee. Visitors can contact the school for information.
Note that all visitors must register with the opera school office upon arrival.